Skip to main content

A New Journey for Simplicity


Happy New Year! I hope you are starting this year rested and ready for a new start. Perhaps you have made some resolutions. Perhaps not. Perhaps 2022 was a great year for you and you hope for more of the same. However you are feeling today, I'm so glad you're here. I wanted to share with you some of my thoughts about the coming year and how I hope to approach it. 
First of all, I am so excited for 2023! I woke up on Sunday morning smiling, that's how excited I was. I am so glad to put 2022 behind me and am more than ready for all the good things that I believe 2023 will be bringing my way. As some of you may know, last year I resigned from a teaching career that had spanned more than 17 years. I was more than ready for a change. I'm still unsure what that means for me and my family but I know that for the first time in a long time I feel like I have some control over what I am going to do with my time and my life, and a sense of delightful anticipation accompanies me most days. I have plans for this blog, and lots of ideas that I would like try - I hope you will come along on the journey with me!
My main goal for this year, is not to lose sight of my quest for simplicity and simple living. These values are so dear to me and I don't want them to get lost in big life changes. So, if you're also keen to continue on a journey of simplicity inspired by the classics, let's begin.
Lighthouses to guide our way through rocky waters

Decide what simplicity looks like for you

What does simplicity look like for you? Is it debt reduction and mindful spending within your means? Is it a capsule wardrobe or a capsule menu plan? Is it spending more time at home creating memories with friends and family? Is it learning skills to be more self-reliant? Is it planting and harvest produce to feed your family? Is it considering the environment when making purchases, large or small? For me, it is a mix of all these things and more. Are you most inspired by the March women of Little Women? Is it the deep self-awareness and independence of Jane Eyre that speaks to you? Is it the wonderful health and wellbeing tips to be found in Jane Austen's novels? Or perhaps you're inspired by those who find rhythm with nature and the great outdoors. Once you have a clear picture in your mind of what you want your life to look, and who inspires you to achieve that, then you can take stock and plan the next step. If it takes your fancy, write these things down. Have a list of what a life of simplicity will look like for you. Refer to it often. Refine it where necessary. Keep yourself accountable with that list! 

Start where you are with what you have

If anyone tells you that you need to buy something, or invest in this or that to embark on a simplicity journey, then run in the other direction! The best way to begin is to start where you are with what you have. We are focusing on debt reduction again this year. At the moment we are doing well in this area and I don't want to lose sight of that goal, even though our income will be changing. Once we have a clear idea of what our income will be, our budget will need to be revised. Our orchard and fruit garden hasn't produced as wonderfully as it has in past years, so I am planning some changes - new apple trees to be planted, old wild plums to be removed, an inventory of the herbs we have dried and what needs to be replenished and perhaps re-planted or re-potted. For me, gardening is such a wonderful time to relax, meditate and make plans or reflect. The hands are kept busy and the mind is free to wander. In this busy world of ours, not many simple actives that require very little expertise or financial outlay can offer such a claim. If you haven't already, I suggest you consider a garden that works for you. There is no point googling or scrolling through gardens (or insert any other creative outlet - cake decorating, home decor, basket weaving, etc) that are expertly created and maintained. This will only make you feel bad. Look at what you have and start there. 
In The Tenant of Wildfell hall by Anne Bronte, the main character Helen Graham (aka Helen Huntingdon), leaves her abusive husband, taking her child with her. This isn't an easy thing for women to do these days, but in the late 1800s it was almost impossible. However, in fear of her son's safety, Helen makes the decision to leave. She uses her skill as an artist to support herself and calls herself a widow. I know this is an extreme example, but in this extreme case, Helen was able to use what she had - her own skill - to create a new life. What do you have? Do you have a skill? Do you have a vision? Do you have some tools at hand to get started? It's amazing once we take the time to look around us, and within us, to see we actually already have much of we need to start building the life we truly we want. 
Rising early to greet a glorious sunrise over New Year's at the coast

Continue on your way

French philosopher Alain  (born Émile-August Chartier, 1868-1951) advises one to continue first and then start. It's funny advice, but it makes perfect sense. There are many great things that I began last year, in 2021 and even before that I would like to continue. My journey to read the classics began two years and I am so thankful that it did. It was one of the best decisions that I ever made and has brought me so joy, especially sharing my thoughts here with you. I will absolutely continue to write and post articles, before I start making any changes with my content or the direction I'd like this blog to take. I already walk as often as I can, so I will continue doing that before I start any major exercise plans (not that I have any as walking is my favourite exercise, but you understand the gist I hope). We also love to garden and have many vegetables growing happily this summer, so we will continue to tend to that part of our life. Continuing to save and get ahead on reducing our debt is also on the agenda for 2023. These are some examples of the slow, literary life that I enjoy so much that I wish to continue in the coming year. 

So before you "start" any major life overhauls, think about what you are already doing that helps to serve your purpose or your goals and continue doing it. 

Set your mind to it

This is where that deep self-awareness and independence of Jane Eyre comes into play. Jane says,  "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will." Although she is referring to Mr Rochester, we need her iron will to set our minds to our goals. We need to remind ourselves that we are free human beings with an independent will. We need not be ensnared by the nets of consumerism, over-spending, bad habits or manipulative social media. 
In his book, The French Art of Not Trying Too Hard, French philosopher and writer Ollivier Pourriol reminds us that we have infinite willpower. When I read this, I loved it immediately. My willpower can be very weak; I have a lot of trouble sticking to healthy diets, walking away from good deals, or being productive around the house when I could be reading, playing or losing my time elsewhere. However, my willpower is always there. It is infinite. I just need to exercise it more so that it becomes stronger. It will never go away or be used up, like my energy or my time. So, I shall continue to exercise my will power and continue to set my mind to the life that I want to live. It is a lot easier, I believe, to set our minds to something when we remember tip #3 - continue on your way. If we are already doing something, then clearly our willpower is working and we simply need to strengthen it. 

Take time this year to stop and smell the roses - even plant a few if you like!

To sign off, I'd like to leave you with a few thought-provoking questions to get your mental juices flowing. 
How are you feeling about the arrival of 2023? Are you excited like I am? 
In what ways are you looking to simplify your life? 
Are there favourite books that you turn to, to help you live the life that you want to live? 

Thank you for stopping by, it means so much to me. I truly hope that 2023 brings peace and joy to all of our lives. 





Comments