Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Why I Left Teaching and What I Hope to Leave Behind

 


Last week I resigned from my teaching job. I didn't just resign from this particular job, I resigned from teaching altogether. It was a decision that I have been toying with for over two years, and the timing felt right. I will see out the year, until Christmas, and then I will be starting a whole new chapter in my life in 2023. The truth is, I am excited about not knowing what lies in ahead. I know it's a very risky time to be leaving a steady job with a good income, but I feel - after much discernment - that this is the right thing for me. 

You may be wondering how this week's quote by Tolstoy aligns with my thoughts above. I'd like to explain. When I began teaching, I had that noble hope to "light candles" and "illuminate the hearts" of my students. I had a passion in me to share what I knew about History and Languages - a passion that had been placed there by other, amazing teachers. However, recently I have been losing that passion to pass on the light through teaching. I did not want to be someone who teaches without a passion - because who knows what I would be passing on! It is my hope, that I have lit just one candle in a student during the 17 years that I have been teaching. And that they too may feel the passion to pass it on. I feel that this is one of the noblest things we can do with our lives. In the meantime, I will continue to share my passion here, and hopefully light a few more candles along the way. I hope you will continue to join me on this journey.

Have a wonderful week, and thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a comment below if the urge takes you :)





Comments