Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Getting Started with Christina Rossetti

 


Do you suffer from procrastination? I do. I think that Christina Rossetti must also have suffered from it, to make such a poignant statement. And I don't use the word 'suffer' lightly, because honestly procrastination can be quite debilitating for some of us. It goes hand in hand with distraction, and we all know how much there is waiting to distract us from our work, from our family, from our chores, and so on. 

However, I think Rosetti also hits on a key point here. Just start. Get started. Take that first step to clean the fridge. Or start writing that report you need to do for work. Or set out all the ingredients for dinner, ready to be chopped and cooked. Often, when we take that first step the rest of the job follows quite quickly. It's amazing how much time we actually have when we take the time to honestly reflect on how much time we have wasted! It's not a pleasant task, but being honest with ourselves is the first step. If phones are your weakness, then check how much time you are spending online. In settings you can easily see how much time you are spending in different areas - on the internet, on social media, on messages, and so on. Make a note of this and try for better the next day. Consider putting time limits on those areas that steal your time. I have a thirty minute timer on Instagram which is why the amount I would like to spend  on that app each day. Perhaps for you, it's a bit longer, or a bit shorter. If it's games that take your time and stop your from starting a job, then look at the time spent and consider a limit there too. I am always telling my kids that we have to control our time on our phones or it will control us! Using your distractions as a reward can also be helpful. Taking a break with a cup of tea and a book (if that's your distraction - and it is often mine) after the job is done makes that cuppa all the tastier! 

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know in the comments if there's something you've been putting off starting this week. 



Comments

  1. My husband had a printed piece that has moved into my home years ago and has moved with us to this one. The kids call it 'The Family Motto': It says "It's far better to do something and fail than to do nothing and succeed." Not quite what Rosetti was saying but it made me think of it right away.
    My husband is a procrastinator, admits to it and likely that's why I felt the two tied in together because at some point one of us will make that quote over something he's put off starting...It works every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote, Terri! Both your print and Rosetti's quote are on the right track, reminding us that it's always better to give something a go, than to sit around complaining that it would never work!

      Delete

Post a Comment