Skip to main content

The 10 Books That I Enjoyed the Most in 2021




First of all, let me begin by saying thank you to all the readers who take time out of their day to stop by this blog to read the articles on how to live well, inspired by the classics. This is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart and I love reading a range of classics that will excite and inspire to share with you all. I know sometimes my posting can be patchy, but my aim is to have a good bank of articles that can be read in any order whenever you need inspiration or want to reflect on the many wonderful teachings that the classics - whether they be books, music, movies, art or past-times - can bring to our modern lives. 

You all mean so much to me, and I wish you a wonderful 2022! 

I like to keep a record of the books that I read through out the year, and this year I read over 30 books. I'm always pleased to read at least 26 books a year - which equates to a book a fortnight. Not great, but pretty good for a part-time teacher, full-time mother and wife who loves to read. So, here they are in no particular order; the 10 books that I enjoyed most in 2021.

Fiction

To Kill a Mockingbird

I cannot believe how much this book resonated with me and how the issues raised are still pertinent today. One particularly favourite quote:

Until I feared that I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.

Lee writes so convincingly and so passionately throughout this book that I can see why it has been on so many school's reading lists and why it is a true modern classic. I definitely recommend reading this one if you haven't already.

Heart of Darkness

This is not an easy book to read, although it is only 70-odd pages long. Both Joseph Conrad's writing is not easy to read, nor are the themes presented here, but it is well worth persevering with this one. I read it back-to-back with To Kill a Mockingbird, and the issues of race, hatred and fear of the unknown are paramount in both. It gives an idea into the birth of issues that still bubble and fester in our world today. 

Jane Eyre

I loved everything about Jane's authenticity, her determination and mostly her self-awareness. For one so young, I thought she was very impressive to understand her values, her beliefs and herself as well as she did. In fact, I wrote a whole article about how we could learn from Jane and her steady, mature approach to her life. A beautifully written character with depths and complexities.

Murder on the Links

Of course I had to include an Agatha Christie novel on the list, and this one just ticked all the boxes for me! Murder on the Links is Poirot novel set in France. The great detective is up against his snooty counterpart to solve the murder, and the dance between the two is wonderful. Christie also includes enough twists and red herrings to keep you on your toes. A beautiful, easy read. 

Nineteen Eighty-Four

I must say that I was a bit intimidated to read this classic by George Orwell, but by the end I was in tears. For me, this book exemplifies what a true classic is. It deals with so much humanity and so many true human issues that it will stand outside of time, forever. That may seem a bit over the top to you, but I really encourage you to read it and consider the state of our world today. 

The Great Gatsby

This was a real pleasure to read. F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing was so amazing, so effortlessly evoking and rich. I loved every minute of this and was so glad I got to re-read it. I read it in high school but didn't appreciate it at the time. Another classic that should be on school reading lists and opens up a wonderful world of discussion and ideas. 

Picnic at Hanging Rock

The only Australian fiction book on my list this year that made the top 10. I really enjoyed this book and loved Joan Lindsay's intelligent and evoking writing. The setting, the rawness of the Australian bush, was something very close to my heart and very timeless. A favourite quote: "He remembered that he was in Australia now: Australia where anything might happen."

The biases and the prejudices that existed in Australia then (and still today), are casually thrown about, but with dark undertones: "the miasma of hidden fears" continue to spread throughout the book.

Jamaica Inn

I enjoyed Daphne du Maurier's book more than I expected to. Her famous classic, Rebecca, I read last year (and would like to re-visit next year) and loved. This one is so very different but so dynamic and rich in both character and setting. It was a wonderful change of pace after my Victober marathon of reading the Brontes and some Austen. I like books show a different side of society, a glimpse perhaps, into a darker side. But then, I always like to come back to the bright, and uplifting classics too. 


Non-Fiction

The Happiest Man on Earth

This book by Eddie Jaku was so authentic and so beautifully written that I found myself in tears a number of times. A recount of Jaku's life, including numerous experiences with Nazis and in concentration camps and culminating in his migration and life in Sydney, Australia, Jaku does not shy away from the hard and painful memories. Instead he embraces them and uses them to build a life of gratitude and contentment. I wrote a whole article about the lessons we can learn from this book; you can read it here.

The Tao of Pooh 

I read this book in a day, I loved it that much. In fact, expect a whole article to come just on this book and the inspiration it has given me and my outlook toward life. I think that even if you are not a fan of Winnie the Pooh, or Buddhist teachings, there is still a lot to take away from this little but powerful cult classic. 

I hope you have enjoyed reading through my top 10 books of 2021. I would love to heard what some of your favourites reads were this year. I'm looking for more inspiration for next year and what to read next, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I wish you all a wonderful New Year's and that 2022 brings you more peace, comfort and joy than a cosy classic on a cold, wintery evening (and that's saying something!)

Kirsty x

Comments