Skip to main content

Reading: 5 Life Lessons from "The Happiest Man on Earth"


Normally, I unashamedly only read books that I consider classics (not everyone agrees with my definition!) but sometimes books, especially non-fiction books, come my way that were written recently but hold the allure of potentially offering advice that is timeless and classic. When my good friend Jenny, a retired English and History teacher, told me about Eddie Jaku's book, The Happiest Man on Earth, I was intrigued. Jaku is a Holocaust survivor, and in his book he "shares how he found gratitude, kindness and hope in the darkest of places."

I knew that my friend had met Eddie Jaku on several occasions when she took History students to the Sydney Jewish Museum to hear him speak. After reading the book in only one sitting, I knew that there was so much enduring wisdom that I wanted to share it here with you. The content can be quite deep and troubling, but the writing is easy to read and, honestly, it's hard to put it down! Without giving too much of Eddie's story away (I really hope you find the opportunity to read this book for yourself), I'd like to go over some of his advice to finding happiness in a life that may, at times, be bleakly desperate and harrowing. 

1. There Are Many Things More Precious Than Money

If I have not made it clear on the blog here before, let me take this opportunity to unequivocally state that I do not believe that we need to have a lot of money to live a classically refined life. Indeed, many of the classics that I draw inspiration from, were set in times when money and wealth was not abundant and true joy came from well established and nurtured interests and quality time spent with others. Eddie Jaku says, 

    "There are many things in this world that no amount of money will buy you, and some things are priceless beyond measure. Family first, family second, and family at the last."

Our society these days encourages us to move away from family at university age or not much later. Moving away is often a mark of "making it on our own." But this is something that society teaches us; we don't have to accept it. Who says that we need to live a life away from family to be successful and independent? I moved three hours away from my family when I got my first teaching job, not too far in the grand scheme of Australian geography, but so many times I wish I had been closer to them. We are still incredibly close, and chat regularly on the phone, but it's not the same as sharing a regular meal or a weekly cup of tea together. Fortunately, my in-laws do live close by and they have been a wonderful, regular and reliable presence in our lives. We have depended on them so many times over the years, just as I know they depend on us. The children love visits with them just as much as they love visiting with the children!

Who is your family? Is it your parents, siblings, spouse or children? Does it extend into aunts, uncles, cousins and even lifelong friends? How is your relationship with them? Do you consider them your first and your last? If not, why not and can these relationships be mended? It is our family (however that may look), the ones who have known us the longest and those who know us best that nurture our happiness. If the last eighteen months have taught us anything it is how important family is, and how important it is to cultivate these relationships, even via long distance. 

2. Hug Your Mother

Although this chapter title does not immediately succeed the first one (tip 1), I thought it followed on nicely. I haven't seen my mother (who I am very close with) since May. Even though we talk on the phone nearly everyday, I would love to be able to give her a hug. When we said goodbye at Mother's Day, we had no idea how long it would be before we could see each other again.

    "She was gone, murdered, stolen from me. There is never a day I do not think that I would give everything I have to see her just one more time. If you have the opportunity today, please go home and tell your mother how much you love her. Do this for your mother. And do it for your new friend, Eddie, who cannot tell it to his mother."


3. Tomorrow Will Come if You Survive Today. One Step at a Time.

When Eddie was writing these words he was ignorant of the way the world was going to turn. The book was published in 2020 but written before that, before the global pandemic. Yet the advice that he shares is still so poignant and relevant. In our modern, western world many of us have been spared the torturous existence that others have endured. However, the rise of mental illness and epidemic levels of obesity, cardiac disease and other life-threatening diseases, suggests that this avoidance of hardship does not necessarily make us any more happy in the long run. We all suffer, at different levels, and in different ways. By keeping this thought in mind, of taking each day as it comes and taking one step at a time, it is a simple way to keep the fear and anxiety from overwhelming us, whatever our circumstances may be.

4. You Can Find Kindness Everywhere, Even From Strangers

This follows on quite beautifully from the last point. By keeping in mind that others may be suffering and adjusting our behaviour and attitudes to be more kind and compassionate is a wonderful, and free, way to live. 



Despite what is happening in your life, you can be the kind stranger that may make somebody's day without even realising it. It doesn't cost anything and may be as simple as a smile or a friendly greeting. It may be a phone call to a distant relative or a friend you haven't caught up with in a long time. 

5. One Good Friend is My Whole World

Are you beginning to sense a theme in Eddie Jaku's book? The notions of family, friendship and kindness are all pervasive, and this from a man who has every right to feel angry and bitter. It is by relying on these valued foundations that Eddie is able to call himself, "the happiest man on earth." We do not need to have a large, social circles or hundreds of friends or followers on social media. We only need one good friend. One who knows us well and will support us through our journey of life no matter what. And one that knows that we, in turn, will always be there to support them. 




Eddie talks about so much more in his book, from recounting his horrific experiences at the hands of the Nazis and their allies, to how he started a new life in Sydney, Australia. I don't want to give too much of the book away but I hope I have shared enough to whet your appetite and seek out this book on your own. 
If you have read Eddie's story, or would you like to share your thoughts on this post, please do so in the comments below.

Kirsty x

Comments