Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Youth with L.M. Montgomery

 


Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery is a beautiful story about Anne Shirley's and Gilbert Blythe's youngest daughter, Rilla (short for Marilla). I love Montgomery's stories, but this one with its up-close account of the the families and loved ones left behind during WWI was especially moving and sweet. 

A couple of weeks ago I shared a Bitesize Inspiration on Maturity, and this week, rather coincidentally, I have one on youth. I remember being a teenager, and I can assure you that those 'pangs of youth' were very real for me. Perhaps my parents were laughing at me, but I don't recall that ever happening. Just as Christie reminded us in that last quote, maturity does come with age and a mantra like "this too will pass" can be helpful for those who are ready to hear it but quite hurtful for those who are still feeling those pangs acutely. 

With a houseful of teenagers this quote is an especially poignant reminder for myself not to patronise, diminish or laugh at them or their concerns. Anne Shirley is a particular wise mother of a daughter that feels so intensely and I admire the way she encourages Rilla without belittling her feelings. Perhaps, she too, can recall easily those rush of emotions that seem to come with adolescence.

Thanks for stopping by. I'm enjoying finding quotes from stories to share with you, and hope that you are enjoying reading them. Have a lovely week!








Comments