Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Maturity with Agatha Christie

 Hello and welcome back to It's a Classical Life. I've had a lovely break over January - we went away to the beach for a holiday, visited family, played games, read, then returned for the new year of school, work and studies. It's been a good mix of busy and relaxing! I hope the new year has started gently for you too. 

I have been giving a lot of thought as to how I would like to continue with the blog this year. One small change that I was thinking of introducing was including more quotes from classic books as part of my Bitesize Inspiration posts. I constantly take note of quotes that I love and have so many that I would love to share them with you.

Today's quote comes from a short story by Agatha Christie called The Problem at Pollensea Bay and was said by her famous character Mr. Parker Pyne. 


The reason I loved this quote and took note of it was because we often seem to live in a world of  perpetual youth. Pyne was actually directing this to a woman, a mother of man in his early twenties who still coddles her son. He is telling her that it is time to let go and get to know herself now that her son is grown. 

Although many women in their mid-forties still have young children these days, I think it's important to recognise that with maturity comes a self-understanding that we often lack in our younger years. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned saying this (especially as so many young people seem so confident), but I believe that self-knowledge really does come with age. Raising children is only a part of it. The older we get, the more life throws at us, the more we grow and reflect -- this all contributes to a true, deeper understanding of who we are. 

What do you think? Do you agree with Pyne's evaluation of self-knowledge?

Have a lovely week and thanks for stopping by!



Comments

  1. Hi Kirsty,

    I'm so glad that your January was lovely. How nice to start the year right! I like this quote and agree completely. It can take a long time in life to stop caring about others' opinions and find and be yourself. Age absolutely has its compensations and this is a big one. Sharing more quotes that you love with us is a great plan for your blog; I vote Yea!

    Erina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never one of those who say, "I don't want to grow up!" and try to remain perpetually childish, but I do agree that I didn't come to full maturity until I was in my mid-40's and finally gained some real confidence in myself and my opinions. I agree with Erina, it's when we top caring what others think and we've gained an understanding of who we are in ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment