Skip to main content

Classic Inspiration for 2024: Know Yourself with Shakespeare

 


Happy New Year! As we kick-start 2024 (or gently roll into it if you prefer a slower pace, like me!) I think the best plan we can make is to really get to know ourselves. Knowing who we are and being true to ourselves is a recurring theme here and I am speaking as much to myself as to others! Before tackling the big resolutions and goals for the coming year, why not take some time to get to know yourself. It's really very simple.

Take a piece of paper (or your fresh journal) and a pen. Find a quiet place to sit where you will be inspired but not disturbed. For me this is of an early morning on the quiet, cool deck. These journal topics come from Caroline Jones' book An Authentic Life: Finding Meaning and Spirituality in Everyday Life. You can choose to write to all of these prompts, or perhaps just one or two. You may want to come back to them throughout January and February and reflect on some others. 

  • What do you love to do?
  • What are the underlying themes?
  • What gives you energy and fulfilment?
  • What space are you allowing these things in your life?
  • What have you always wanted to do and haven't done yet? Write down some ways of making these things possible.
  • What plan do you have to do some regular, enjoyable physical exercise?
  • What are the various ways in which you experience love in your life?
The one that I got the most out of was this one:

    List everything you have ever loved to do, from childhood to the present.

Here is my list:
  • walking my dog
  • playing with my cat
  • reading books - non-fiction, fiction
  • writing - stories, journals, non-fiction articles
  • research - usually historical 
  • smelling roses
  • cleaning
  • organising
  • baking sweet treats, especially with my kids
  • tea time
  • enjoying meals with family and friends
  • early morning cups of tea
  • picnics
  • days at the beach, river, lake
  • going to plays and films
  • teaching students from diverse backgrounds
  • listening to stories from migrants and refugees
  • being at home/pottering
  • bedtime
  • breakfast in bed
  • visiting my grandparents
  • dancing/zumba/aerobics
  • listening to music or podcasts
  • learning something new
  • learning new languages
  • travelling
  • reading to my kids at bedtime
  • dates with my husband
  • having nice clothes
  • working with nice people
  • water-painting
  • swimming
The good thing about this list is that it is not exhaustive. I can go back to my journal and add to it anytime. And from this list, I have gotten to know myself a bit better. I can see clearly those things that I enjoy and hope to do more of in my life. And most of them are not hard at all! 

The second part of Shakespeare's quote - once we are being true to ourselves - is always important. "Thou canst not then be false to any man." When we are true to ourselves, we have the very best of ourselves to offer others. We recognise our own gifts and how we can use them to serve others. We can incorporate our loved ones into our pleasurable activities and create loving memories together. We are able to live our best life, whilst still caring for others and their needs. 


I hope this first week of 2024 has been a pleasant one for you, and that you are ready (and prepared) to embrace what the year brings. Thanks for stopping by and joining me as we travel through the new year together.



Comments

  1. what is "playing the my cat" .... playing with my cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, yes that is meant to be playing with my cat not some obscure instrument or game!!! I’ll fix the typo now, thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment