Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Mindfulness with Publilius Syrus

 


We've all been taught how important it is to multitask - especially as women. In fact, there's even a joke that says that women can multitask and men can't. Perhaps the joke is on us, then, because truly there is nothing great about multitasking and even Publilius Syrus, a 1st century slave and writer, knew that this. Today he is best remembered for his witty aphorisms that have stood the test of time. If you're interested, you can read more of his wisdom here

In my quest for slow, simple living this idea of concentrating on one thing at a time has really been at the core of how I have changed my life. Taking time to give my full attention to one thing at a time, to be able to recognise how long something will actually take before I begin, so I don't get sidetracked midway, to stop what I am doing and actually listen to my husband and children - these are all ways mindfulness has improved my life. Lately my attention has been taken over by my studies and I was lacking the brain-width to keep posting here. I am better organised now, and am working within a schedule that makes room for everything done well. And one thing at a time.

What do you think? Are you a fan of multitasking, or like me, do you appreciate the slow moving habit of one thing at a time?
Have a lovely week, and thanks again for stopping by!




Comments

  1. Thank you for making the time Kirsti; a new post of yours is always a welcome sight. Excellent quote and off I go to learn more about Publilius. I always appreciate your wide range of reference! No multi-tasking for me if I can help it. Doing one thing at a time is pure luxury.
    Erina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a luxury, and we convince ourselves that we're not productive unless we're multitasking! Funny how this notion of mindfulness has been around for two thousand years or more! I guess we're slow learners.
      Have a lovely week x

      Delete
  2. I've been addicted to multi-tasking and at one point was trying to promote mindfulness. Then I started keeping the three year old grandchildren and suddenly it was necessary to multi-task again. I'm trying to stop and just BE in activities instead of doing so much at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Terri! It's really hard not to multi-task when there are little ones around. Quickly put the kettle on and while that boils, wipe the benches down. Kids are eating lunch so I'll quickly prep dinner instead of sitting with them. I don't know how many times I had to reheat my cup of tea when the kids were little because I kept getting sidetracked with various tasks. I am so thankful that I worked on mindfulness and just doing one thing at a time. Of course there are times when other things creep in and times are busy but it's definitely a lot less now.
      Have a great week and thanks for stopping by x

      Delete

Post a Comment