Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Happiness with Flora Thompson

 


Well hello there! How are you? It's so lovely that you've made time to come back here. Life has been pretty busy lately. My studies have picked up again, my husband is starting a new job, family and friends have been visiting and life has passed by pretty quickly. I've been reading as much as I can (which is never as much as I'd like). I recently read Far From the Madding Crowd (1874) by Thomas Hardy and loved it so much that I sought out more bucolic type stories. 

From Lark Rise to Candleford (1945) has been my on my shelf for over a year. I borrowed it from my sister-in-law and when she came to visit recently meant to give it back to her, unread. However, I forgot and thought it might be providential and that perhaps I really should read it. I got about three pages in and wondered how I hadn't picked it up earlier! I love it. It describes the everyday life of people in the small hamlet of Lark Rise in the late nineteenth century. I love this detail. It reminds me of how people used to live with so little, and quite contentedly too. Thompson is spot on with the comment in today's quote. She has such a wonderful understanding of people in this hamlet and recognises their trials, tribulations, their joys and their dreams. Considered semi-autobiographical, Thompson's reflections are poignant and  sincere.  If you haven't read it already, I'd highly recommend this sweet read. There are a number of other gems of inspiration, so keep a pen handy!

Happiness is an elusive goal for many of yours and we are constantly told that more, or the next new thing is the way to get there. Perhaps Thompson is right and there is another way of defining happiness. What do you think?

Thank you for stopping by. I really hope to get back into a regular posting schedule this week, so please come back soon!




Comments

  1. So nice to see you back! Good luck to your husband in his new chapter. I'm glad that life has been full and happy for you of late. Isn't reading just the best? I don't know how people live without it. I've gotten many interesting ideas for reads from your blog, so thank you Kirsty. I'm off to check out Flora Thompson for my Kindle; I've never read her but I like the quote lots. Hardy is a tough one. I've read quite a few of his in the past, but find him Dark. The bucolic aspect is lovely however. Tess was rather awful, and Jude the Obscure really disturbing I seem to remember.
    Warmly,
    Erina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erina! Thanks for popping back in and leaving a comment. I know how you feel about Hardy; I found Tess a difficult read too but thought that Far From the Madding Crowd was very different, not dark at all. It actually reminded me a bit of the Brontes or Austen's writing. The only thing I can say about Thompson's writing is not to expect a fast-paced storyline, but rather settle in for slow, descriptive writing.
      I'm so glad you've found some inspiration here - I love it when people leave comments and suggestions for me to read too! Sharing this way makes the book all the more enjoyable in my opinion.
      I hope you're well, and that you've had a lovely summer.
      Kirsty x

      Delete
  2. I never "got into" the British TV series from 2008 of the same title (it was replayed on American PBS) But I have a feeling that I'd enjoy the book, as your recommendations are always so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when it came on TV too, Marceline, but didn't get into it. I think perhaps because there isn't really a storyline - more a long description of people and places. Almost like Thompson's own reflections. I think I might look up the show now though and see how they have adapted it. Would be interesting to compare.
    Thanks for popping by x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment