Skip to main content

Get Moving with Jane Austen


Last week I spoke about beginning the new year with a journey towards simplicity. One of the key points of which I spoke, was continuing with something that is good for you or that brings you benefit before starting something new. As many of us are looking to improve our health as a new year's resolution (myself included), I thought now would be a good time to consider a gentle way to get moving.

Last year I was experiencing a lot of trouble with my back and shoulder, so I saw a physiotherapist. He gave me some simple stretches to do at home and began working on bringing some flexibility and movement to my otherwise stiff spine. I'm not alone. This sort of upper back stiffness is a by-product of the sedentary lifestyle that so many of us are living at the moment. Additionally, sitting or lying too much can contribute to other health problems such as obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular issues. Mental health issues are also linked to an over-sedentary lifestyle. Well, if this isn't enough to get me up and moving I'm not sure what is!

When I was younger I was quite active, but for the last few years - especially since the kids have all started school - I have become more and more inactive. My activity seemed to be linked to housework, garden work, and running between classes on the days that I was teaching, but even this isn't enough as the rest of my time is spent sitting whilst reading, writing or watching television. So, in looking for a treatment I turned to the classics, of course! And who better to help me than Jane Austen?


I've talked about Brian Kozlowski's book, The Jane Austen Diet, before here and this is where I turned for some gentle tips to get me moving and feeling better. Kozlowski says:

    "Georgian doctors viewed the body as a sort of machine (the machina carnis, they called it) that needs regular movement to work properly...It's why Austen's characters, people like Frank Churchill in Emma - who sit "still when he ought to move" - are always playing a risky game with their health."

I'm not sure if we can call this new, mind-blowing information, but it certainly is a change from the high-paced, sweaty, no-pain-no-gain sort of exercise that our society likes to push on us. For the last two weeks I have been walking before breakfast, which is another Jane Austen tip. 

    "Anne and Henrietta, finding themselves the earliest of the party the next morning, agreed to stroll down to the sea before breakfast. They went to the sands, to watch the flowing of the tide, which a fine south-easterly breeze was bringing in with all the grandeur which so flat a shore admitted. They praised the morning, gloried in the sea,; sympathised in the delight of the fresh feeling breeze - and were silent." ~ Persuasion

All of this just before breakfast! Austen makes it sound so bucolic and wonderful, how could we not be inspired by a walk before breakfast? Anne often walks to visit Lady Russell - a half mile away - and the group walks not only to the sea, but also out to Winthrop to visit Charles Hayter. This was brought about thus:

    "It was a very fine November day and the Miss Musgroves came through the little grounds, and stopped for no other purpose than to say, that they were going to take a long walk..."

Walking is key to some many important plot developments and is a habitual part of many of Austen's daily lives. The Bennet girls walk miles every week to visit the nearby town of Meryton. Just as the Dashwoods girls walk up to visit their family at Barton Park. Walking, even in the gusty gales of Lyme conjures up images and feelings of fun, pleasure and good company. Austen's presentation of walking (or daily exercise) is not something to be endured or suffered. It is a for pure joy, good health, leisure, and entertainment. We can all take something from this. Gather a group of friends for walks - you will be amazed how far you can go when you are chatting away happily, "Where the power of conversation would make the present hour a blessing indeed." (Persuasion). If friends aren't nearby, then take some headphones and listen to your favourite podcast or audio book - in fact, many of Austen's novels are available to listen to for free through Librivox recordings. Make those characters your friends and walk with them, enjoying their company and listening to their stories. 

If improved health is on your list of goals for this year - and even if it isn't - why not consider walking? If you are already walking, then continue to do so (remember Alain's advice). If not, start small and continue from there. Organise a walking group, go for a stroll before breakfast to whet the appetite like I am, or try an evening post-prandial walk if the weather is fine. Whichever way you do it, you won't regret it. 

Let me know in the comments if walking is for you, or if you're inspired by Jane Austen to slip on some conformable shoes and head outdoors. 


 

Comments