Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Caring for Others with Lewis Carroll

 


I hope you don't mind but January has taken on a bit of a "self-education" theme here on the blog (II'm not a fan of the word "self-improvement" but I am a big believer that improvement comes through education). On Saturday I talked about getting moving with Jane Austen (you can see that article here if you're interested) and today I'm shifting to a more mental approach to better living. 
I've seen several instances of TikTokers or other social media influencers performing random acts of kindness to strangers on the street, whilst recording it (often without permission), solely to promote how kind they are to their viewers. I really do NOT believe that this is what Carroll is referring to in today's quote. I don't believe that we should act in a way of generosity, kindness or charity to others to big-note ourselves or to seek praise. Nor do I believe that Carroll is saying that we should only think of others at the detriment of our own health and wellbeing.
We all know of the many benefits of being kind and compassionate to others, such as reduced stress and anxiety and improved physical and mental health. Being kind and compassionate to ourselves is also important. If we are often our own worst critics, caring for others can help take the focus away from ourselves. I know that I feel good (a nice warm glow inside) when someone acts in an unexpectedly kind way or shows genuine care towards me. If we keep this in the forefront of our mind, and we keep our acts small and consistent I don't see how we can go wrong. I am not suggesting buying everyone's dinner at the restaurant in a fit of generosity or causing exhaustion through cleaning the homes of everyone in your family or neighbourhood. Simple things like a phone call, a hand-written note (it's not too late to send out a happy new year not), smiling at people you pass in the street, or volunteering some of your time. This year, I am making regular volunteer work a priority and I can't wait. 
Let me know how small acts of caring has helped you or others in your life. As always, thanks so much for stopping by.




Comments

  1. You're right Terri, it really should be between the giver and the receiver. So many of us have this instinct, I believe, but the way our world is nowadays we often hesitate or even desist in giving, because of fear or concern over how our gesture may be received. But then, there are still so many who give selflessly, of the time, energy, prayer, money etc without causing a song and dance. God bless them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment