Skip to main content

Artist Spotlight: Victor Gilbert and Living Well

When we look at fine art, we are given a number of opportunities. We can simply appreciate the work, its lines and colours, the way it makes us feel. When I write an Artist Spotlight post, however I like to look for artists that inspire me and my values. How can I look at art and recreate the images, or the feelings, the actions, in my own life? What is it about a piece that inspires me, or that speaks to my soul? 

Last week, I was looking through some of my favourite artists, wondering which one to use for this week's spotlight, but I decided to use French impressionist artist, Victor Gilbert - someone I don't actually know anything about. HIs paintings, though, were so appealing to me that I wanted to learn more. That's what I love about what I do here, I get to learn right along with you! The images have come from a variety of sources (listed at the end of this post). 

Victor Gabriel Gilbert was a French painter belonging to the Impressionist movement. Many of his paintings depict real scenes of life in French market places and everyday moments at home. I love the sweet realism of his art. Born in 1847, Gilbert grew up in a fairly poor household. His parents did not have enough money to pay for his tuition, but at age thirteen he was apprenticed to Eugene Adam, a painter decorator. At night he would also take lessons at the École de la Ville de Paris, which was his only form of official artistic training. Some suggest this lack of rigorous academic training, meant that Gilbert used the scenes of daily life that surrounded him as his inspiration. According to one source, Gilbert was also inspired by literature - a bit like we are! After showing some of his paintings in the early 1870s he financially supported by "Père Martin who owned an art shop on the rue Lafitte and who was an important supporter of the Impressionist movement and the promotion of young and promising artists."

So, here are some lovely and manageable tips, inspired by Victor Gilbert to help us live well. And in case you think that I do all of these already, all the time, please don't. I love these posts because they are a good reminder to me also, and in writing about it, I can learn about somebody new and deeply appreciate the inspiration. 

Sit down to enjoy your cup of coffee

And if I could add the following by-line, "Re-consider the size of your coffee cup." I know that I am guilty of rushing out the door with a coffee travel mug in hand, ready to gulp down on the way to work, but it is so much more pleasant to sit down and relax while having a cup of coffee. It doesn't have to be a litre size cup either. A small cup is enough to give five or ten minutes respite in an otherwise busy day, without ruining your appetite. I love the lady's relaxed pose and expression in this picture as she seems to be so mindfully contemplating her coffee. I wonder what she is thinking?


Garden

You may not agree with me, but I think one of the nicest and simplest ways to live well is to cultivate a garden. It doesn't have to be a big garden; it can be some pots of herbs on a balcony, or some potted geranium at the front door. If you have the space, though, spending time in the garden to grow a variety of plants is a wonderful, soul-filling activity. Grow fruit and vegetables that you and your family can enjoy, grow flowers that you live, and grow shade giving trees. All of these will bring insects and wildlife to your yard, another wonderful benefit. I've talked before here about the health benefits that being in the garden can bring you, and would recommend it is a first step for anyone wanting to live well.


Read 

This one will probably come as no surprise to you, but of course I would suggest that you should read if you are looking to live well.  There are a number of reading lists here on this blog to get you started if you are stuck. Your idea of 'classics' may differ to mine, but so long as you are reading things that inspire you to live the life that you want to live, that demonstrate the values, beliefs and actions that are important to you, or that challenge you to learn more about a particular topic or person, then it doesn't really matter. Taking the time out of our busy days to expand our minds, nurture our imaginations and keep ourselves educated and thinking is a valuable tip in the journey to living well. If reading is something you struggle with, then consider an audio book, short stories or poems, or a magazine to get you started. 

Good grooming matters

I'm not saying that you must wear a lot of make-up or expensive clothing, but that paying attention to how you are groomed each days matters. The famous fashion designer, Christian Dior, states:

Simplicity, good taste and grooming are the three fundamentals of good dressing and these do not cost money.

This is what I mean when I suggest that good grooming matters. If anything stands out to me about these beautiful paintings by Gilbert, it is that the women and men of the 1800s took the time to get dressed everyday (even down to their shoes), they did their hair and they look respectable and ready to meet the day, regardless of their wealth or social standing. Even if they were just reading a book, sewing or spending time in the garden. These simple things will make a difference to not only how we look but how we feel about ourselves. So much research has been done during the pandemic and how people feel if they don't get dressed each day. There is a case to be made about the correlation between how we look and how we feel. I know that personally, I cannot start the day until my hair and make-up are done and I am dressed in clothes that I would happily be seen in outside (that means no leggings, unless they are under skirts or dresses, and no track pants).



Mend and make do

Do you remember this old saying from post-war and depression days? There are so many ways that we are able to mend and make do with the things that we own today, regardless of our skill or experience. On Youtube you can learn in an instant how to sew on a button or re-hem some pants that are too long. I particularly like this painting because of how elegant the lady looks, sitting by the fire mending or embroidering her beautiful red throw. I also love the traditional style of her decor. I think my willow pattern plates would fit in beautifully in a room like this :) I also love the delicate paintings and portraits on the wall. Candles and glass candlesticks are also elegant, yet practical, additions to the room.


Keep Connected

Now, it doesn't have to be a letter - it can be an email or even a phone call. The point here is to sit down and reach out to someone important to you. Staying connected with important people in our lives will ultimately help us to live well. We won't feel lonely if we are reminded of the people out there who we care about and who care about us in return. Likewise, being able to make someone's day with a nice card or a carefully worded letter, is a wonderful thing in its own right. I've written a whole post on the wonder of letter writing, if you are interested. 


I'm also including a couple more of Gilbert's paintings without my commentary, for you to enjoy and gain your own inspiration from. Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below, and I hope you have enjoyed this wonderful artist and his everyday scenes. 

 






Kirsty x


Sources:
https://theworldsartist.com/artist/victor-gabriel-gilbert
https://www.tuttartpitturasculturapoesiamusica.com/2016/09/Victor-Gilbert.html 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Gabriel_Gilbert





Comments

  1. Wow, I love this! Beautiful art that can offer us doable tips for living our best life. Who can ask for more? I hadn't come across Victor Gilbert's work, but I love the colour and homeliness of it. You have a lovely blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula! Gilbert was a new artist to me too but the more I looked at his work the more inspiration I gained. I also love learning new things, so was happy to read about his life and his influences. I'm so glad you could stop by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment