Skip to main content

Saturday Matinee: Three Coins in the Fountain

Hello, and welcome back to It's a Classical Life! If this is your first time here then I hope you will leave a comment saying hi and that something inspires you as you go about your day.

As my mother cleaned out her house recently, I inherited a small collection of classic movies on DVD. They had been my grandmother's and my mother, knowing how much I love the classics, offered them to me after my grandmother passed away. I've watched a few of them already and though it would be a great idea to share some thoughts I've had whilst watching. This new little series (which won't be every week) is called Saturday Matinee, so if you're interested in classic films, please be sure to keep an eye out for that heading. 

Today, I want to begin with a silly, but fun favourite: Three Coins in the Fountain. This American film was made in 1954 and won two Academy Awards (Best Cinematography and Best Song). Set in Rome, Italy it follows the lives of three American secretaries working in Italy and looking for love. The title and famous titular song (sung by Frank Sinatra), refer to the three coins that the three secretaries throw into the Trevi Fountain, wishing that they will come back to Rome. I have included the trailer here if you would like to watch it. It is an older film (read: slightly outdated in terms of political correctness these days!) but I've taken a few quotes to inspire us in fun, exuberant way. I know there are many critics out there of Three Coins in the Fountain, so if this is you, you may want to leave the blog now and come back next week!


"There's nothing rushed in Rome"

Having spent some time living in Italy when I was a young woman, I can definitely vouch for this statement! Banks, public offices, meals - you name it, things move at a different pace there and you simply must accept it or become highly frustrated trying to change it! Although for most of us Italy would be a place for a holiday, we can definitely take on board the slower pace of life in our own lives. This does require a certain level of organisation, so that we are not left rushing about at the last minute, but when done well helps promote mindfulness, gratitude and appreciation of the small things. Simple steps such as slowing down our breathing, or the way we walk through the house/office, can have a big impact on our lives. Take a slow, deep breath and try gliding instead of stomping or rushing. 

"A penny's worth of hope"

Although this quote refers to the superstition of tossing a coin into the Trevi fountain, I think it says a lot. Hope doesn't cost a lot, and having it can bring other riches into our lives. We don't need a lot of money or wealth to have hope, and often it is those who have the least materially who have the most hope. 

Source

"I write for myself, not the critics" 

What a wonderful bit of inspiration! Nowadays it's very common to share many personal aspects of our lives with the whole world! This may mean that we are open to a lot more criticism, and from people we don't even know. Remembering to live our lives for ourselves and not for our critics reminds us to be our true selves, whatever others may say or think. I am so lucky to have a small group of followers who are like-minded and encouraging and keep me writing what matters most - to me!

"I'm gonna stroll through the gardens of the Villa Borghese in solitary contentment."

You know how much I love nature and my garden, but to wander through the Villa Borghese gardens in solitary contentment sounds like heaven! When life begins to overwhelm us, why not take the time to go for a walk on your own in a favourite garden, park or nature trail? Or even when life is good and there's no other reason to do it than to breathe in the rejuvenating scents of green and growing things and revel in the beauty that is found outdoors. By doing it alone, our thoughts are free to wander, we can take our time or hurry through parts that aren't interesting or inspiring. We have no-one to answer to but ourselves. 

"I'm going to go inside and sit down and just think about all those lovely paintings."

Similar to the last quote, sitting with art, by ourselves, is another way to slow down, take a deep breath, and appreciate beauty and creativity. Italy is full of museums, galleries and opportunities to expose ourselves to glorious art, but we don't need to go all that way. Why not find a local, free (or inexpensive) gallery to visit? Keep an eye out for travelling exhibits that may be of interest and take the time to plan for beauty in your life. I discuss the benefits of visiting art galleries here, if you're interested in reading further. If Italian is your thing (as it is mine, especially Renaissance art), then you can also stay home and take a virtual tour. Somewhat lacking in the physical experience, it can still be a wonderful experience for those who are unable or unwilling to travel. The Uffizi in Florence has some virtual tours available here for viewing. 

Source

"There is never any preparation for a death sentences is there?" "There is a lifetime."

I debated including this quote or not, but I decided to share it because death is a natural part of life and not one that we should shy away from discussing. We can often feel that death (or old age) sneaks up on us, but we all know that it is coming. It is how we live our lives everyday up until that point, that is the preparation for death. So many wellbeing gurus tell us to live our lives as if each day were our last. Now, I'm not sure I have the energy or desire to live my life that way, but if you do, then great! For me, I like to reflect on my life choices regularly, have gratitude daily for all the blessings in my life, and seek to change those things that don't bring me joy (usually starting with my own attitude to things!) Perhaps this is enough of a preparation for that day when death comes knocking. 

"I'm not too old to do anything I want to do."

Sometimes we can see age as barrier to do the things that we want to do. Perhaps our children, society, our partners or that little voice in the back of our head says, "you're too old to do that." If anything, as we age, we should feel more confident and able to do the things that we want to do to improve our lives, help others, bring some joy and jolliness to the world, or simply add some whimsy to our day. I would like to think that with age comes a certain sense of compassion and consideration of others - not simply doing something because we want to, regardless of how it may hurt others. 

My final inspiration from Three Coins in the Fountain is all the lovely costumes and scenery. I can never get enough of 1950s dresses and midi skirts in the rustic Italian countryside or swishing elegantly through the streets of Rome - slowly of course, never rushing!

Have you seen this classic film? What did you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below, or share another classic film favourite.



Comments