Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Conscience with Harper Lee

 


Harper Lee's classic novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, is one of my favourite novels. Lee's writing is moving and thought-provoking and this quote is one of many that I have highlighted in my copy of the book. Conscience, moral behaviour, ethics and so on are all important themes highlighted throughout the book, but are just as relevant and important to our modern lives.

There are so many things in the world that are wanting to distract us from who we are, what we value and how we wish to live our lives. By being in touch with these things, reflecting on them often, truly knowing ourselves deep down, we know that despite "majority rule" we can live in a way that satisfies our conscience and brings us true joy. If we are living in a way that doesn't sit well with our conscience, it is (in my opinion) near impossible to find joy and peace in our lives and in our selves. 

Sometimes we need to understand what we need to let go of, what we need to hold onto and what we need to learn about ourselves to really gain the most out of our lives. This may look differently for each of us, but what remains the same is the understanding of who we are and how this helps us to experience our own unique life journey. Following the values or morals of another person will not necessarily work for us. As Atticus tells us, "I've got to live with myself." We are, after all, the ones that we spend the most of our time with anyway so we may as well feel good about our life choices. 

Thanks for stopping by this week. I have a few articles lined up for the coming weeks (it took me a bit to find my feet this year!) so I hope you will check back. Have a lovely week!



Comments