Skip to main content

Reading Goals for 2024

 


Hello Friends and thanks so much for stopping by here today. Amongst the the lists that I like to make and the goals I like to plan, there is one that I haven't shared here before. That is, a reading goals list for the coming year. There are a few books that I would like to read in 2024. Some of these have been on my shelf (or on my Kindle) waiting patiently for my attention. Others I will need to order from the library but am inspired to read. Others still are rereads that I want to revisit and fall in love with all over again.

So, without further ado, here is my list of Reading Goals for 2024. 


Evil Under the Sun - Agatha Christie

Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

Othello - William Shakespeare

Hamlet (reread) - William Shakespeare

The Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde

Nineteen Eighty-Four (reread) - George Orwell

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain

Villette - Charlotte Brontë 

The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton (Kindle Download)

Agnes Grey - Anne Brontë (Kindle Download)

The Time Machine - H.G. Wells (Kindle download)

Rilla of Ingleside - L. M Montgomery (Kindle audio download)

An Old-Fashioned Girl - Louisa May Alcott (Kindle download)

Arsène Lupin: The Collection - Maurice Leblanc (Kindle download)

What do you think of my Reading Goals List? Are there books on it that you would like to read in the coming months or perhaps read my thoughts on them once I'm finished. I always aim to read 26 books a year (1 a fortnight), but in reality it's close to 35-40, so I'm not worried about the size of this list. The biggest obstacle I anticipate facing is the number of Kindle reads that I have. I downloaded a heap last year and didn't get to them, and that's mostly because I don't always like reading on my little phone. My daughter has an iPad and I've uploaded the free Kindle app onto it and loaded all the books that I want to read on it, so now I'm able to read on the larger screen and hopefully have more success getting through the list. 

My first read is Evil Under the Sun, which I got for Christmas and have already started. I finished another Agatha Christie book earlier this week (The Listerdale Mystery) and am keen to get into this new whodunnit. I attempted some more modern cosy mysteries last year and I have to say I was disappointed with the writing in some of them. I do enjoy Anne Perry's Christmas short stories, but the others just feel a bit flat. Christie might make mystery writing look easy, but to me, there is none like her!

What books do you plan on reading in 2024? Do you envision any obstacles standing in your way? I'd love to hear your reading plans, so please share in the comments below :)



Comments

  1. Wow Kirsty, I love this list!

    GWTW, Villette, Huckleberry and Rilla are all solid favourites of mine. I could read all four over again any time.

    I also enjoyed Wilde's symbolism and drama in Dorian Grey, and the interesting rubbing together of personalities in An Old Fashioned Girl. I quite liked Evil Under the Sun for the mid-twentieth century holiday vibe Agatha Christie evokes so well.

    I want to read The Time Machine myself, being one of the pioneer time travel tales. Maybe this year will be as good as any other :)

    Thanks for your inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula,

      Thanks for your comment! I'm sure you must recognise the books on this list, as so many of them were reviewed and recommended by you! My son has since absconded with GWTW (we were on holiday and he didn't have anything to read, and now he's hooked), so I've moved onto the Picture of Dorian Grey instead. It feels good to have a reading plan and some idea of what to read this year.
      Looking forward to more good inspiration from you this year too!
      Kirsty x

      Delete
  2. Happy Belated 2024 to you Kirsty! I hope that you and your family are doing well and that this new year will bring many wonderful moments and much happiness.

    Your list is excellent; I've read some and some I haven't. Love The Time Machine! So good I think, and I'm not much of a sci-fi fan. Wells is just so much fun (wait until you see how often he uses "incontinently"). The Age of Innocence is one of my favorite Wharton's. In 1921 she was the first woman to win the Pulitzer prize. It captures a time, beautifully written, right before huge societal changes.

    You should buy a Kindle! I couldn't live without mine (mint green, name of Snoutfair). In fact, some of the reason that I read only classics is because they are all free on Kindle. I try not to spend more than .99 ever on books; it's not that I'm that frugal, I just love the hunt.

    Warmly,
    Erina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment