Skip to main content

Do It Anyway: A Poem by Mother Theresa


 Hello all! Welcome back and I'm so glad that you have taken time out of your busy lives to pop in here. This week has been a bit hectic in our house. The weather has gone from hot to cold almost overnight, bringing it with it a range of seasonal illnesses. I'm not sure what it is about October, but we always get tummy bugs! The forecast shows the weather climbing back up next week - I hope so! I'm ready to pull out summer dresses and put away jackets and woollens! How is it where you are? I love seeing all the beautiful autumn scenes on social media at this time of year - nature that good makes anyone a good photographer!

I wanted to share a poem with you today that I read years ago but saw again recently on Cheryl's Frugal Corner blog. I love blogs that still share inspiration and ideas, and don't rely on YouTube or other social media to get their message out. Reading things (in case you hadn't realised by now), is my favourite way of accessing information and ideas. I just retain things so much better if I have read it. There are a few YouTubers that I like (I was thinking of sharing them in a future post if you're interested), but mainly I still like to read. Anyway, let me share this lovely little poem with you - and please let me know if, like me, you remember it from a long time ago.

DO IT ANYWAY
People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone may destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, the final analysis, it's between you and God;
It was never about you and them anyway.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta

I love this poem and it is such a timely reminder for us to mind our own selves and our own behaviour. There are going to be times where we can't please everyone, and there will always be people who find fault with what we do. What matters is our own motivation for our behaviour. We can even talk ourselves out of doing something because we are worried about how others can react - I have a family member who can have really grumpy moods and when I'm with her in these moods I get grumpy too. What I should do, is keep my mood and perhaps influence her with some good vibes instead of allowing myself to be brought down! We always have a choice, and what we value should dictate our behaviour, not what others might think.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope that you have a lovely weekend, wherever you are!





Comments