Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Do not worry

 


The words, "don't worry," seem to be out of our mouths before we even consider what they mean. Usually they are said to console, comfort or placate someone who is given to worry, or has something on their mind. It's more difficult, however, and less  commonly done to explain why someone shouldn't worry. But the truth is, we all know why we shouldn't worry: it's bad for our health, it's more often than not a waste of our time and energy, it often doesn't change an outcome, or it's something that we should simply accept and let go of. 

Recently I was reading a psychology article that talked about the three areas that cause us the most worry: the past, the present and the future. This quote taken from the gospel of Matthew, reminds us why we shouldn't worry about the future. In all honesty, the worries we may have today about tomorrow, are often forgotten as tomorrow brings its own worries with it. This quote is so simple, yet it can be taken in so many different ways. Tomorrow will worry about itself, our children will worry, our spouses will worry, our parents will worry....and so on. The more we are aware of the energy that we expel on things outside of our control the better we are off at avoiding this sort of thinking. It is natural to worry and to be concerned, especially about our loved ones, but always accept that there is a limit to how helpful worrying can actually be to any given situation. 

When my children were little and they had a tantrum or were overly upset about something I found that distraction was the best thing. I still find it a powerful psychological trick on both them and myself! If I find myself worrying too much, getting upset or overthinking (totally guilty of that one!), distraction is key. A walk outside with a podcast or audio book is usually my go-to fix for these moods. Other distractions can be a clear-out project (but usually only a cupboard or a drawer because I don't like to take on big projects that I won't finish!), baking, raking leaves or cutting flowers, vacuuming, or watching a favourite television program or Youtube. All so simple, and for me, so effective. When I'm really worked up I don't find prayer or meditation effective: I need to get out of my own head! But I do rely on these when the worry is still small. 

Are you a worrier? What helps you when you need to get out of your own head?

Thanks for stopping by, and having a wonderful worry-less week! 








Comments