Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Edith Wharton on What Makes a Classic

 


If you're popping by after my longish hiatus, thanks for coming back! If you're new here, then welcome. I initially set up this blog to document my growing collection of thoughts on how the classics can inspire us to live well; even in times that are troubled, full of uncertainty, sickness, or poverty, and times that make us long to live in a different time! I try very hard not to glamorise the past here, but accept if for the time that it was and use it to learn how to make my modern life comfortable and better. 

I think that the wonderful Edith Wharton hits the nail on the head with her quote. She recognises that 'eternal' and 'irrepressible freshness' of a classic, something which I agree with wholeheartedly. They stand the test of time; don't become outdated or stale like others do; and eternally inspire us to do better, to be better, to strive for better. Whether it be music, literature, style or art - the classics know how to endure. 

I recently read Kerfol by Wharton, my first foray into her work. I loved it and am looking for more of her works to read. I was able to download The Age of Innocence free on my kindle and also have it on hold at the library (I much prefer paper books to electronic!) Women that worked hard to break the glass ceiling of their times hold a lot of inspiration for me; especially women in the earlier half of the twentieth century. I've been reading and researching them a bit lately and gleaned a wealth of information and inspiration. Be sure to keep checking back here because I have some ideas for future articles.

Tell me, what makes a classic for you? Are classics even necessary in our world? Should we be looking to the future instead of the past? (I'm sure you know my opinion on that, but I love to be challenged!)

Have a wonderful week!



Comments