Skip to main content

The 8 Best Things to Buy Second Hand


With the cost of living affecting people all around the world, the increased climate crisis, and the terrible abuse of underpaid workers in developing countries, buying second-hand can be the answer to these problems. I'm a big believer in shopping second hand, and have loved searching through op shops (thrift stores) and antique stores since I was a teenager. I loved finding something unique or knowing that I wasn't supporting fast fashion (yes, that was a thing all those years ago!) or compromising the lives of workers in developing countries who perhaps had made their products for a lower than acceptable wage. 

However, there are many people who really don't like the idea of shopping second-hand or perhaps don't know where to begin. Not to worry, I'm here to help! Here's a list of some things to start looking for second hand. That can be in-store (which I highly recommend), or from online websites such as eBay, Poshmark, or Gumtree. The joy of searching in second-hand shops, is a bit akin to searching through a cave of treasures; you really never know what you are going to find! It is precisely for this reason though that I suggest that you do have some idea of what you are looking for before embarking. There are a lot of useless things to be found in second-hand stores and we don't want to be sidetracked by them. Have a general list that you keep with you whenever you are out and about can be a big help. Not sure what to put on that list? Here are my top things to keep an eye out for when op shopping. 

Some of my second hand finds

1. Books

Of course I had to start with books! The cost of books - bought new, can be anywhere from $15 up! I've never seen a second-hand book at the op shop cost more than $4. When I have gone looking for a particular book on eBay or Abebooks, then sometimes they can be a bit more but often the postage is free. I don't mind taking my time to find the books that I like, nearly always second hand. My family also know what books I like and keep an eye out when they're second hand shopping. I've also had so much luck finding out of print or hard to find books second hand. This was especially helpful during lockdown and we needed a particular textbook for my high school son. $8 later and we had the required book delivered to our home. 

 2. Accessories

Accessories are some of the cheapest and abundant things to buy second hand - jewellery, scarves, handbags and purses are always available in second hand shops. It is a cheap and easy way to update classic outfits each season without breaking the bank. It's also a nice way to enter into second-hand shopping as there is so much choice and often of nice quality too. 

 3. Clothes

Clothes are one of the most popular things to buy second-hand. There has been a real boom in recent years, especially with online destinations allowing people to re-sell their own clothes. However, as I mentioned, shopping for second hand clothes has long been a habit of mine. I remember scouring the racks of Vinnies or the Salvos for the perfect jacket or top when I was young. I still love to do it now. One of my favourite skirts of all time, this embroidered blue piece, was bought for $2 second-hand! I've never seen one like it in a shop. 



 4. Jars and Cookware

If preserving, pantry stocking, or other culinary activities are on your list of hobbies or skills to learn, then investing in some specific cookware or jars from the op shop is a great idea. You can often find them at a fraction of the price than they would cost new and the good older ones are often better quality than what is made today. A good wash, and some new labels (if you like), and you're good to go. Annabel at The Bluebirds are Nesting has made some beautiful things out of jars that she's acquired second-hand if you're looking for ideas. Big old saucepans are also useful for soup making, detergent making, or to use in the garden as water bowls for the chickens or wild birds. 

 5. Decor Items

Buying decor items second hand is a quick and affordable way to refresh or update your house. Recently I decluttered every room of our house and donated many little knick knacks and decor items. I have not had the urge to go out and buy anymore because I love the cleaner, clearer look (plus it is so much easier to keep clean!) However, I do still keep an eye out when I am in the second-hand shops just in case something really unique catches my eye. And the things that I have kept are special to me and nearly all of them were actually purchased second-hand!

 6. Kids' toys and clothes

Kids grow so fast, often growing out of clothes before they have worn an item more than a handful of times. This means that people are willing to pass on these smaller clothes. Buying them second hand can be a great alternative to the cheap, factory-produced clothes often found in fast fashion shops. If you are paying $3 for a t-shirt or a pair of leggings, then what exactly are the workers in these factories being paid? I have spoken about the cost of fashion here before, but it's definitely worth repeating because we often think it's so easy and affordable to buy fast fashion, especially for our children, but forget the cost of those workers who aren't earning a living wage. 

 7. Furniture

Last year we bought a Burgess teak dining suite. Australian made in the 1960s it was loved by one family for over sixty years before we bought it. It is in such good condition and I love thinking of all the dinners that have been shared before us. It's quite small as a six-seater but can extended to seat eight. We plan to keep it for the rest of our lives; it's small enough to fit into a unit if we ever decide to downsize but as it can be extended will suit the family dinners of the future!

In the not too distant past it was very common to buy or rent homes that were either partly or fully furnished. This idea that we need to have new furniture every other year is a very new one, and really rather wasteful. There are so many beautiful, affordable options around for furniture that I can't see why people wouldn't consider it. You can upholster lounge suites, paint old wooden furniture or sand things back if that's your taste. It's a wonderful way to celebrate your own tastes without breaking the bank. Additionally, you may find that older, vintage pieces of furniture are much better made and of a higher quality than the more common, mass-produced furniture of today. 


Our lovely second-hand table

 8. Homewares

We bought our Willow pattern dinner set second hand. Each plate and bowl cost $1 each! It added up of course, for a set of 6, but it is a set that we use everyday, love, and is made of excellent quality. And overall, it was so much cheaper than buying anything new. Online I have seen beautiful pink Depression-era crockery for sale. This older type of homeware - crockery, cutlery, serving platters etc, are absolutely classic and can often be bought in a set or if you prefer, buying a bit here and there until you are happy with what you have. 

I hope you're inspired to get out to the local second-hand shops in your area for a treasure hunt. Keep an open-mind, but have a list in your hand too so that you don't get in over your head! Sometimes the cheaper prices can convince us that we need something that we don't actually need! I've definitely fallen for that one in the past! If you're already a second-hand shopper, please share with us some of your favourite finds or tips.

Thanks for stopping by,



Comments