Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Finding yourself with H.G. Wells

 


If you follow me on Instagram, then you will know that I am currently participating in a reading challenge called #victober. The challenge is to read literature from the Victorian era for the month of October. I also thought it would be fun to find some quotes to use this month for our bitesize inspiration from some great Victorian personalities. H.G. Wells is one of my favourites, because in the 50+ novels that he wrote he traversed a variety of genres, themes and settings. My favourite is The Invisible Man, but he also wrote The War of the Worlds, The Time Machine and The Island of Doctor Moreau. Although he was known as 'the father of science fiction,' so many of his novels deal with contemporary and relatable issues. 

This quote of his that I have chosen fits in so well with his exceptional understanding of the human race and all our quirks. If this quote does not apply to you, if you are already living your life as the person you are, then I think you are wonderful! What a wonderful life you must lead! When I started reading the classics, my goal was to see how these novels which have stood the test of time could show me how to live my modern life in a way that is fulfilling, generous, grateful, full of contentment. I am still striving to reach that goal but I can assure you that studying these novels and the wonderful people who have written them, have had an immense impact on my sense of self. I love this quote because it reminds us to stop and take stock. Our lives can become so busy and sometimes, before we know it, we are caught up in a life that we didn't necessarily want, being a person that isn't who we really are. 

A bit deep for a Monday morning, I know, but that's what these bitesize inspirational quotes are meant to do - make us think! What do you think of Wells' quote? Is it still relevant to us today?

Have a wonderful week!




Comments

  1. I am not yet who I want to be, but I do understand the sentiment in the statement he made. Years ago, I did a sort of life makeover in my 20's and that worked so well that it has brought me along a life path that while not without its share of stumbling blocks and missteps has helped me grow and grow. Like you I am still seeking the life that is my ideal one but I'm nearer than I've ever been. Not perfect but working towards that end result of being the best of who I might be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment