Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Compassion with Solon

 


Solon was an Ancient Greek poet, lawmaker and statesman. He overhauled many of Athens' laws in the 6th century BC, often in favour of the poor and the vulnerable. Although he has many critics - Aristotle amongst them - he did, at times show insight and compassion into the plight of others that had, up until that time, been overlooked as insignificant or irrelevant to the law-making Athenian aristocracy. 

Despite criticism, this quote still rings true today. Every time I watch the world news I am reminded of how blessed I am, and that as an educated female in a first world country, how many opportunities have been afforded to me that so many miss out on. Closer to home, I don't live on a flood plain, or in an area prone to blizzards, cyclones or earthquakes. We can have extreme heat in summer, storms that produce hail, heavy winds, and the threat of bushfire, but we have access to emergency services, running water and the ability to stock up our pantry to be prepared for emergencies. I look to classic literature to help me live a fulfilled life, yet even this indicates a level of privilege absent in so many parts of the world. 

I don't think that Solon is saying that our own worries, concerns or ailments are insignificant, but I think he wishes to remind us that there are always people worse off than ourselves in the world. The fact that we even have the time and energy to think about these things is proof enough! This quote can be used as either a gratitude or a compassion quote; I have chosen to focus on the latter because compassion is definitely something that the world can always have more of. One way we can show tangible compassion is to support causes that work for those most vulnerable in our world. One organisation that I like to support is Red Cross. Their on-the-ground response to humanitarian crises and natural disaster is wonderful. They also have a resource that shows how you can do more to support others, found here

Have a wonderful week, and thank you for supporting It's a Classical Life, it really means so much to have you take time to stop by here. 



Comments