Skip to main content

Classic Style: The Midi Skirt

I thought long and hard about posting this article on classic style. As you may know, I used to shop a bit too often and have worked hard to re-direct my focus to other things in order to live a simple life of contentment. However, I do love talking about style and fashion and with the start of the new season upon us, I've been seeing many posts on new clothes and trends to try. I, however, thought I might advise that you try a piece of clothing that is timeless yet classic and wearable in many different ways. There is no need to stifle your personality or creativity - as you can see in the photos below, there are many styles and ways to wear a midi skirt. They are such a versatile and feminine staple to have in your wardrobe all year round. Of the four that I have shown here, two were second-hand and I still have and wear them both. They are a piece of clothing that you can often find second-hand, if you are willing to look. 

Now, for this article I have used photos I've taken of myself using just my phone, so please excuse the poor quality (and the finger prints on the mirror!). The point is to show you the different ways a midi skirt can be worn and just how timeless it really is. For those of you who don't know, I have three children and work part-time as a teacher. I have slowly, painstakingly curated my wardrobe so that I can wear clothes both at work and on my home days, thus keeping my wardrobe small yet versatile.

Skirt 1: Classic Navy Linen



This is one of my favourite looks - a linen, navy midi skirt, a striped long-sleeve tee and ballet flats. I can wear this to work or at home and be perfectly comfortable and respectable. Swap out the long-sleeve tee for a short sleeved one, and change the flats to sandals and it works beautifully for hot summer days. Additionally, switch to boots and add a denim jacket and I'm good to go.

Skirt #2: Black





Look how versatile the black midi skirt is! If you haven't got a midi skirt and are thinking of investing, then I would definitely recommend black to begin with. Mine is a great length to wear with flat or heeled boots, flats and even white trainers for a modernised look. It can be worn with a belt or without, for variety. 

Skirt #3 - Black floral skirt




Dress it up, dress it down, winter or summer, a floral midi skirt that goes well with the colours you could wear with a plain black or navy skirt adds another layer to your wardrobe. In the top shot, I'm wearing it with a blush blouse and nude patent wedges for a work look. The other two looks are acceptable for work but also casual and comfortable enough for days at home, lunches or dinners out, church, meetings, etc. 

Skirt #4 - Blue, embroidered skirt






Two very different looks with one skirt! This glorious blue, embroidered skirt is one of my favourites and has bee in my wardrobe for nearly five years. I actually bought it for $2 at the second- hand shop and it is so well made that I have always wondered if it was handmade. It is a wrap skirt, which I find so easy to wear especially if my weight fluctuates. I love to bring it out in spring and wear it with espadrilles and a t-shirt (as in the top photo) but I'm also liking the winter look with boots and a knit jumper. 

What do you think? Does the midi skirt work as classic style piece for you? What are your plans for a classic look this new season? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
















Comments

  1. Erina from Naples FL USASeptember 10, 2022 at 1:09 AM

    My absolutely fave type of skirt. It's so feminine and versatile. You look lovely and well-styled! I like your first look the best; what could be more timeless than navy linen, stripes and ballet flats? Perfection. I also love the arty, embroidered skirt too, and especially with your espadrilles. Great choice of shoes for a vintage St. Tropez look.

    I want to tell you how much I enjoy your blog, and appreciate the time and thought you put into it. I only found you recently, via Teri at Blue House Journal blog. She mentioned your blog and I was delighted to come "meet" a fellow classic literature fan! So hello from Florida :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erina, first of all, a very warm welcome to you! I'm so glad that you found us and that you love reading the classics too! It's a new journey for me, but I've been getting so much out of it and love to share what I'm learning. Coming from sunny Florida, I'm sure you get plenty of opportunity to enjoy the midi skirt look! Thanks so much for taking the effort to leave a comment, I love to meet the people who pass by here. Have a great week! Kirsty x

      Delete

Post a Comment