Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Agatha Christie on a Good Honest Trade

 


Welcome to another week here at It's a Classical Life! I am so glad that you could stop by. I have been reading the news and see that our northern hemisphere friends are suffering through heatwaves, and those of us here in Australia are also experiencing wetter than usual temperatures and also very cold weather. It's funny how much of an impact weather can have on our mindsets. I find it very easy to let my self-discipline slip when the weather is in an extreme state. Discipline in regards to writing, housework, getting ahead, exercise - all areas, really! I'm very good at making excuses not to get things done, and the weather is one I use a lot!
If you have visited here before then you will know that I am a big Agatha Christie fan. As I read so many of her novels, it's easy to gain inspiration from her, her characters and her own beliefs. I chose this quote for this week's Bitesize Inspiration because I am ready to 'submit to the discipline of form.' We talk so often about living a good life, being prepared, being a lifelong learner and so on - all of these things can be considered as a life trade or skill, and all require a form of discipline. I especially love how Christie explains that once we have learnt our skill or trade, we can "apply our own creative ideas" to it. We can be as creative as we like with tending to the 'mundane' tasks of our life, but learn the form of it first. Once we have the form down pat, we are free to create. Before aiming for exotic gardening, start with a simple herb garden. Want to get better at meal planning or cooking ahead? Then start with simple, made-from-scratch recipes with everyday pantry staples. Want to read more of the classics? Then you've certainly come to the right place, I have plenty of reading inspiration right here! Get started with some form in your trade, then gain confidence and move into more creative endeavours. Today, I think I'll transplant some herbs into pots in my green room and cook a couple of lasagnes for the freezer. Knowing my trade and a dash of discipline will get me there!

I hope wherever you are reading this that you find a trade to focus on this week, and use it to live well. Thanks so much for stopping by xx




Comments