Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Francis Bacon on Reading


 There are different ways to read and there are books that should be read differently. What I mean to say, is that there are some books that, as Bacon suggests, should be chewed and digested slowly because they require a deeper read, closer examination and ultimately will offer unlimited joy and inspiration. Then, there are those that are purely for enjoyment or instruction and once finished offer no great insight into our lives or how we are living them. Both types of reading are fine and should be encouraged. My son is very good at differentiating between these two and will alternate between simple, graphic novels that are purely for entertainment purposes, and deeper classics that he continues to mull over for months. A slow chewing and digestion. A couple of years ago I decided to focus my reading on the classics, because it was something I wasn't interested in doing in my younger years. I have gained so much wisdom and inspiration in choosing to read this way, but sometimes I still crave an easy, whimsical read that adds little value to my life. So I go to the library and pick up some with a bright and airy cover and loses myself for a day or two. Then, I happily return to my classics. 

Which do you prefer? Tasting, swallowing, or digesting slowly and thoughtfully? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

Have a lovely!






Comments