Skip to main content

Classic Past-Times: Journalling



3 October.—As I must do something or go mad, I write this diary. It is now six o’clock, and we are to meet in the study in half an hour and take something to eat; for Dr. Van Helsing and Dr. Seward are agreed that if we do not eat we cannot work our best. Our best will be, God knows, required to-day. I must keep writing at every chance, for I dare not stop to think. All, big and little, must go down; perhaps at the end the little things may teach us most. The teaching, big or little, could not have landed Mina or me anywhere worse than we are to-day. However, we must trust and hope.
                                                                                             Dracula ~ Bram Stoke

July 15th 1944: It’s utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation of chaos, suffering and death. I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too will end, that peace and tranquillity will return once more. In the meantime, I must hold on to my ideals. Perhaps the day will come when I’ll be able to realise them.
                                                                                    Anne Frank's Diary
Twenty-Second. Night. What have I done? And what will be the end of it? I cannot calmly reflect upon it - I cannot sleep. I must have recourse to my diary again. I will commit it to paper tonight, and see what I shall think of it tomorrow.
                                                                  The Tenant of Wildfell Hall ~ Anne Bronte

I have been a journal-writer since I was in primary school. It has helped me through many tough times, and although I don't enjoy looking back over old journals very often, I am grateful that they are there. I thought, when I started It's A Classical Life that it would be similar to journalling; the journal writing I do when I've read something particularly interesting, or insightful, and want to record it with my own thoughts and ideas. I've been a bit sporadic with my online thoughts here lately, but I can assure that my journals are still being used and filled with random thoughts, ideas, connections and insights. They just haven't made it to the publication stage yet, and that's okay! 
Some of my most favourite books are written, either entirely, or partly, in journal format. Journaling has had such a significant impact on history, science and literature for many, many years. The most common form of journal writing in classic literature is that of the Daily Reflections Journal, so we will begin with that one. Please don't feel that you have to try all of these types of journalling, but if it is something that has intrigued you for a while or that you think could help improve your daily life, then read on for some styles of journal writing that may be right for you!

Daily Reflections Journal

Just like the examples at the top of this article, daily reflections journal are a summary of what has occurred during the day. They are a wonderful tool for authors to employ, but what do they offer the average non-author? They help us to unpack our thoughts over what has occurred during a given day, week or month (depending on how often we write them; they are called daily reflections, but you might not feel the need to write that often). I have found this to be one of the most helpful ways for me to organise my feelings, especially around things that were said or done, and to see things from a clearer, more objective perspective. Too often I have the habit of making things about me, and by writing down and reflecting on what actually happened I often see that it wasn't about me at all! How quick we can be to judge ourselves and others negatively, but in writing it somehow becomes clear that often we weren't the problem at all! I don't usually hold anything back in my journal writing either - it's not the kind of journal I'd like to share with others, but it is very valuable in helping me to express myself and name my feelings. In doing so, I am then able to move forward and on with my life.

Mindfulness Journal 

A mindfulness journal is very simply to create. It doesn't require anything other than a small, simple notebook. When you are feeling overwhelmed, simply sit down with your mindfulness journal and write down these things:
* what you see
* what you can hear
* what you can feel (with your hands/your feet/what you are sitting on/clothing against your skin)
* what you can smell
* what you can taste, if anything
* what you are feeling (don't dwell on this too long, but make a note of it and move on)
This quick and easy 5 minute exercise brings your mind to the present moment and helps you stay mindful in the moment. 

Gratitude Journal 

These are not a new idea, in fact they have taken off in popularity over the last few years. Gratitude journals allow us to actually unpack all the wonderful things in our life that we have to be grateful for. Instead of dwelling on the negatives, or the things that we don't have, a gratitude journals highlights the blessings that exist in our life, even if they are as simple as a hot cup of tea in the morning or a sunny day after the rain. Write it down, as many things you can think of, and feel the blessings in your life for the rest of the day. I often incorporate these into my daily reflections journal (I don't have a specific gratitude journal) and this works equally well also. A few moments of gratitude can work wonders at changing our attitudes and our mindsets, so much so that research shows that giving thanks in this way can make you happier. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships.

A Journal of a Thousand Ideas

I like to call my notebooks filled with the ideas, quotes, thoughts and excerpts from other books "journals of a thousand ideas," because they not only contain so many ideas but they are the gateway to so many more ideas to come! Things that I have heard (especially in podcasts but also from movies or conversations), read (both fiction and non-fiction quotes) or seen that have piqued my interest are recorded in these journals. They are often just notebooks, bought cheaply at the supermarket but the things they hold are treasures. I love to read back over these and see what inspired me, and then to think about why I thought that was important. I find that if I'm not careful with these books, that they have the tendency to take over bookshelves! If you are short of space or not one to collect more "stuff" then consider keeping this journal digitally. A document where you can simply write the date, the title of the article/book/podcast etc and your notes is enough. I like to beautify mine with coloured pens and stickers, but that is entirely up to you! The idea is to remain inspired and to be able to reflect on things that struck a chord with you, with ease and simplicity. Decorations are optional!

Journalling can offer many benefits, especially at the end of a tiring day or time that has tested us emotionally and mentally. It is a wonderful way to unwind at the end of the day and as the estimable Marian Halcombe tells us in Wilkie Collins classic, The Woman in White, "Reading is out of the question - I can't fix my attention on books. Let me try if I can write myself into sleepiness and fatigue." 

I'd love to hear if you are a journal writer or if you are a fan of reading novels written in journal fashion. What is your favourite classic novel written in this format?







 

Comments