Skip to main content

9 Things That Charmed Me In "The Wind In The Willows"


 Things have been quiet around here lately, but that is all right with me. I enjoy quiet days where we are free to potter either independently or to come together as a family for a meal or a game. I recently read Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in The Willows. I had read parts to my children when they were young, but never sat down to read the whole thing myself. I was totally and utterly charmed by this book! I laughed, I cried, I longed for home and I longed for travel. If you haven't read it, then I highly recommend you do. Read on to learn more about the charms of this wonderful classic.

1. Mole's diligent spring cleaning interrupted with exclamations of "O blow!" and "Hang spring-cleaning!"

The story begins with dear Mole undertaking the spring cleaning of his little home. He has worked hard all morning, scrubbing, dusting, washing, but he can feel spring "moving in the air above." Eventually the call of the outside world is too much and he simply must go out. The hot sun that strikes his face and the "delight of spring without its cleaning" all seems "too good to be true." A good reminder that spring brings not only household tasks, but the opportunity to get outside and enjoy the sun on our faces.

2. Rat's picnic baskets

The Water Rat's picnic baskets pop up a couple of times throughout the story and because he is so generous with what is inside them, they are a delight to all. The way he describes the contents to Mole is also charming:

"There's cold chicken inside it," replied the Rat briefly, "coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkinssaladfrenchrollscressandwidgespottedmeatgingerbeerlemonadesodawater-"

What a perfectly laid picnic basket! Rat also offers the delights of his picnic basket later in the book to the wandering sailor Rat. Although our Ratty doesn't have a lot, his generosity and quickness to share a meal should be a lesson for us all. 

3. Toad's car going poop-poop!

Now I know that Toad is quite the troublesome one, especially when he gets cars on the mind, but the joy I felt every time I read "poop-poop" deserves to be included here. I picture one of those olden day cars in my mind, big and cumbersome and then hearing that little horn, I can't help but smile! And Toady was equally affected by the sound:

    The poop-poop! drew nearer and nearer, the car could be heard to turn into the inn-yard and come to a stop, and Toad had to hold on to the leg of the table to conceal his overmastering emotion. 

To be fair, it is Grahame's wonderful writing that charms here, and really brings Toady's joyous reaction to life. In our busy, over-burdened world, it is so sweet to find joy in the simple things, just like Toad. Which leads me on to my next point...

4. Toad's overwhelming optimism

Despite everything going wrong - being put in gaol for theft, disappointing his friends, losing his house to the rascally weasels - Toad always remains optimistic. There are times where his shame and guilt are evident, but they never last long. He is so puffed up on his own arrogance and belief that all will turn out well (he is Toad, after all) that I couldn't help but smile at his antics. Now, I'm not saying that we should admire all of Toad's irresponsible ways, but at least we can be amused by them! And really, he does learn his lesson in the end!

5. The charming behaviour of the migratory birds

    'Ah, yes, the call of the South, of the South!' twittered the other two dreamily. 'Its songs, its hues, its radiant air! O, do you remember -' and, forgetting the Rat, they slid into passionate reminiscence, while he listened fascinated, and his heart burned within him.

It was the birds that re-ignited my itchy feet. For the last few years, travel has been the last thing on my mind, but remembering the joy of going somewhere new and warm and exotic, well, I was charmed! These birds even charmed the river-loving Rat with their words. I think that this particularly reminds us not to forget the thrill of something new. We can often fall into the habit of seeking the safe and familiar and forget that there is a marvellous, wonderful world out there waiting to be discovered. And if it's not the right time to travel, consider how you can broaden your horizons in other ways. Take a risk! Try something new! 

6. Mole's home calling to him

I have to admit, I did wonder what happened to the little home that Mole had spent so much time spring cleaning. After he escaped into the sunshine, you see, he never actually returned. He moved into with Ratty and together they had a wonderful life on the river. However, one day, when returning late with Rat, Mole felt his home calling to him. This chapter is actually called Dulce Domum, meaning Sweet Home. 

    Home! That was what they meant, those caressing appeals, those soft touches wafted through the air, those invisible little hands pulling and tugging, all one way! 

The description of Mole's little home is charming in itself, but for me, it was this calling that I loved. Such a calling overwhelmed Mole, causing him to stop, sit and have a little cry. He acknowledges the shabbiness of the hole, but nevertheless was fond of it, it was his. And Rat, being the dear friend that he is, declares the little home "the jolliest little place I ever was in."

Do you ever get homesick? A call to be at home? Even though you may be happy enough where you are, sometimes the call for home can be so strong that we are overwhelmed. I think the best way to deal with this, is to enjoy every lovely minute that we are at home and not to take it for granted when we are away!

7. Badger's cosy home

On the topic of home, it wasn't Rat's river home or Toady's grand manor that charmed me most, it was Mr. Badger's home. Here's a little glimpse:

    It seemed a place where heroes could fitly feast after victory, where weary harvesters could line up in scores along the table and keep their Harvest Home with mirth and song, or where two or three friends of simple tastes could sit about as they pleased and eat and smoke and talk in comfort and contentment. 

Isn't that the most wonderful description of a home? The decor isn't on trend and there's no mention of minimalism, Scandi style, country farmhouse or French chic in sight! Instead, there are feelings. A place where all kinds are welcome and can relax. Mr. Badger himself comes off as quite stern, yet he is the most welcoming and generous fellow. He not only takes in Mole and Ratty when they are lost, but any number of other little animals who are passing by or lost their way. 

8. The animals' acceptance of Mole as a new friend

When the book begins, Mole is unknown to the other animals, having lived his life underground. He meets Rat first, who takes him under wing with such a welcoming and generous spirit that Mole quickly ends up living with him! Toad, Otter and Mr. Badger are all equally welcoming of the little Mole, who although he may be different, fits in perfectly with the group, bringing his own uniqueness to the group. He is as valued, respected and liked as much as any of the other animals. 

9. The scrawling date inscribed on the inside of my old copy

Of course I had to include this charming little detail in my copy of The Wind in The Willows. We actually have two copies, a large children's book with black and white pictures and this smaller, much older version with the date May 6th, 1935 written in the front. I love to think of the hands that held this book, of the families that read it, and the laughter that it inspired. It's almost one hundred years old and I bet it could tell as many stories as Ratty, Mole, Toady and Badger could! This to me is the charm of old books, especially classic novels that have stood the test of time. I wonder to think where this book will be in another hundred years and am so glad that it came my way and made me part of its story. 


Have you read The Wind in the Willows? Were you as charmed by it as I was? Or perhaps something here has inspired you to source your own little copy to enjoy. Either way, thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderfully charming day!



Comments

  1. I've been wanting to buy this book for myself, having heard of it for ages upon. I'll definitely have to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth reading, and doesn't take too long. You can read it online for free here:
      https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/289
      Just to try it and see if it's worth buying.
      Thanks for popping by, Terri :)

      Delete

Post a Comment