Skip to main content

How to Live Well Inspired by the Classics

 


I believe that we, as a family, live well. Over the years we have made a number of choices that best suit our family - some of them intentional some of them just lucky. I cook most of our meals from scratch, which I enjoy. I also bake our bread each week. I worry about the state of the planet and if I can save on buying store bought bread, with its plastic wrapping, then I feel like I am making small steps to do my bit. There are other ways that we try and help the planet. We use reusable cloths and wipes, pads and towels as much as possible. In terms of toilet paper, this year we started ordering from Who Gives A Crap, an online toilet paper company that wraps their rolls in paper and sends them out in cardboard - again no plastic.

I take the time to shop for second hand clothes for myself and the kids (online or in the op shops when they are open), or at least, clothes made from natural products that are on sale. I watched a documentary on Four Corners about clothing waste and this really is one of the worst issues of our time. But we are all dressed well and in clothes that fit us. I don't buy things that they won't like or that are ratty and old looking. We have been lucky to inherit clothes from cousins, and in turn pass on our gently used clothes to younger relatives.

Most afternoons are spent at home, relaxing after work and school. We don't rush about to different after school activities at the moment. We did do that, before the latest lockdown, but we made a conscientious choice for the children not to have after school activities when they were very young. That cut a huge amount of stress out of our lives - no rushing around, relaxing time at home, no over-tired children. It worked really well. When our children were little and not yet at school, our days were very slow and seasonal. I enjoyed being at home with them, and still do. 

I currently work three days a week outside the home, but I am in the process of changing that to just two days a week. This will, of course, affect our finances, but it will also help with home management, organisation, stress levels, being able to produce more things ourselves - both in the kitchen and the garden, and hopefully saving money in the long run. 


We rarely go on holidays, other than to visit family at the coast. These trips can be done in a day, but are also good for a few days to a week for a nice break. It's hard though, leaving all of our animals, although my in-laws are very good at helping out here when we are away. Then, when they travel, we get the joy of looking after their dog. It's nice to have family nearby. We often have Sunday lunch with them. Sunday lunch is such a special part of our week. I love having a roast or a barbecue, slow and leisurely, usually on the deck out the back. Followed by a homemade dessert or fresh fruit and coffee. It usually takes some time to set up in the morning, but then the afternoon is relaxing and we are all full and satisfied. 

Friday night is fish and chips and movie night. Routines help us keep our life running smoothly and the children know what to expect. They love movie night and I love the simple and quick dinner at the end of the week. It's always made at home, never store bought. We bulk it out with dolmades, salad, pickled onions, cheese or savoury bread. The children are growing and are hungry! 

So, I believe that we do live well, but this is my definition of "living well!" To you, this might sound like a horribly dull life! If so, perhaps this isn't the right corner of the web for you. This slow, literary based life is what I crave. An antidote to the busy-ness that modern life is telling us that we should be living. 

 But where do the classics come into it? This is a fairly new discovery for me, but one that has fitted in seamlessly to my life. I have always loved to read and gain inspiration from how people in novels live. I especially liked books that talked about home and routines and how to live well, in what is commonly referred to as "simpler times". The more that I read classic literature, including poetry and plays, listen to classic music and enjoy looking at and studying fine art, the more I realise that these are the things that matter. Sometimes we might wonder what the meaning of this life is, and I think that we kind find glimmers of answers in those books that we love - for me it is the classics. And that is a very broad term. I refer to books as far back as Ancient Greece and Rome, all the way to modern classics. Books that I have read and ones still waiting to be discovered. Classics whose themes, characters and messages are still meaningful and poignant today; whose lessons can teach and guide those of us who want to learn. I try my best here to share some of those lessons as I learn them, and I hope you will share some of the lessons that you have learnt from reading the classics too. 



Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a lovely day.


Kirsty x

Comments