Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: John Heywood

Do you want to live well but don't know where to start? Do you feel overwhelmed by the number of sites out there guiding you with mega motivation, twelve-step programs, or throw-everything-away-and-start-anew mantras? I have a little secret for you. If you really want to live well, consider this classic proverb by John Heywood. It truly is the perfect place to start. 

Heywood first recorded this proverb all the way back in 1546; you may recognise it as its more common, modern interpretation:

Make hay while the sun shines.

I bet you've heard it before! But have you stopped to consider what it really means to us in our modern day lives? It's simple. It means, get ahead and get organised while you can. Our dream life will not suddenly fall into our laps. We have to plan for it and take advantage of moments when we can get that one step closer to our goals.

Got an extra $50 left at the end of your pay period? Add it to your emergency saving fund. Spent a little under on your weekly grocery bill? Then pick up an extra packet of pasta or rice for the pantry. Find yourself with a couple of hours free on Saturday afternoon? Then cook up a batch of muffins or some easy vegetable slice for the week ahead. If you look for the little ways to get ahead, to get organised while you are able to, then you are preparing for a good, secure future. Just as the farmer needs to look to a sunny day to cut his hay, we too must use times of good fortune and abundance to get ahead. 

If you take the time to plan the good life that you want to live, and then take the little steps each and every day to get to that place, then you truly will be living well. Once again, if you look to classic wisdom, proverbs, literature, art and music you will find the inspiration you need to live a simple and happy life - whatever that may look like for you. 

Tell me, how have you made hay this week?

Kirsty x

Comments

  1. I just put two Agatha Christie books in my cart at the used book store...and now I'm sharing a line from the last paragraph (giving you full credit of course and a link to guide my readers to your blog as well...I'll post it at the end of this week). I love this whole post! It's exactly what I mean by saying "Pursuing beauty, loveliness and comfort on a budget" as my motto. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and comment! It's so wonderful to find likeminded people on the Internet who are great at encouraging and lifting up others, and if we can do it on a budget and with an Agatha Christie in one hand,, then all the better!
      Kirsty x

      Delete
  2. I came to your blog from Terri's. Always happy to find a good blog where the author doesn't buy $100 tee shirts and call them reasonably priced or prepare a dish that requires a ton of special ingredients. I will echo Terri's sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, I'm so glad you found us! It's not likely that you'll find tips like that here - as I take my inspiration from the classics, most things are free and easy! I hope you enjoy a look around and find some inspiration :)
      Kirsty x

      Delete

Post a Comment