Skip to main content

Bitesize Inspiration: Marcus Aurelius on Having a Purpose

 In this new series, I am reflecting on a quote from a classic author, poet or novelist, or another small tidbit of inspiration, in just a few lines.The aim is to take inspiration from delicious, bite-sized morsels, without a long, overwhelming blog post. So let's begin with the Roman emperor and Stoic philosopher, Marcus Aurelius on the topic of work and having a purpose.

"In the morning when thou risest unwillingly, let this thought be present - I am rising to the work of a human being. Why then am I dissatisfied if I am going to do the things for which I exist and for which I was brought into the world? Or have I been made for this, to lie in the bedclothes and keep myself warm? - But this is more pleasant. - Dost thou exist then to take thy pleasure, and not at all for action or exertion? Dost thou not see the little plants, the little birds, the ants, the spiders, the bees working together to put in order their several parts of the universe?"



I think we can all sympathise with what Aurelius is saying here. It's so easy to avoid the work that we must do, in preference for something easy, entertaining or comfortable. But that is not necessarily our purpose here. We are all about establishing a simple, refined way of living here at It's a Classical Life, but that does not mean that we don't put in the hard yards when it comes to work and having a purpose. Think about your purpose as you go about your work today - what is your role in putting your part of the universe in order? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Kirsty x

Comments