Skip to main content

Classic Summer Past-times: Flower Pressing and Preservation

 Preserving and pressing flowers is a true classical past-time, with the practice being done as far back as the ancient Egyptians and Chinese. These dried flowers were used for a variety of purposes: fragrance, medicinal purposes, tea and so forth. However, it is believed that it was the Japanese in the 16th century who began to use the dried parts of a flower for art, known as Oshibana. This beautiful artform is continued today.

Via

As much as I love this delicate and whimsical art form, it is a more simple way of preserving flowers that I wish to discuss today. I have two easy ways that I dry flowers in my house, using no special equipment other than plain twine and heavy books (two things I always have in my house anyway). 

The first way is to simply tie the flowers together and hang them upside down. I use a section of my kitchen wall to do this, as I really like looking at them; a simple and natural form of art that changes with the seasons.


Here I have the flowers from a native grass (centre), roses (left) and hibiscus (right). Below, as the hibiscus have dried I have swapped them out for lavender.


I am waiting (impatiently) for my hydrangeas to finish flowering so that I can dry some of those. Those paper thin petals are my favourite flowers to dry. 

The second way of preserving flowers is to simply lay them between two tissues between the pages of a heavy book, return the book to your shelf and then forget about them. I like to do this with smaller, more delicate flowers.



I love going back into these books and looking over the flowers that I have pressed and forgotten; it's a like a little secret present waiting for me. 





Which brings me to my next point: what to do with these beautiful flowers once they are dried? You can try your hand at Oshibana of course, or you can use them as the Egyptians did for medicinal purposes.



As for me, I like to use the lavender in little pouches to put in wardrobes to keep clothes smelling fresh, or to place across my eyes when a migraine descends.  Heritage roses with their deep, rich scents are perfect for making bowls of potpourri to keep the house smelling lovely. 

Otherwise, I keep beautiful dried bunches in vases as displays through the autumn months. Some I like to be a bit more creative with, such as this lavender bookmark. I have also incorporated my calligraphy practice here too :)


This really is a simple and relaxing way to bring nature into your home for the cooler months and to preserve the beauty of flowers. Please let me know if you like to preserve flowers and if so, what do you do with them once they are dried?



Comments